Search Checkdent
dental-videos
DENTAL FORUM
Search Forum

pain after using 1.1% flouride paste

User Level:
Patient
Posted by: sonrisapt  (1 year ago)
I had a root canal done 2 months ago with no further pain or problems. Because I have pain from other procedures yet to be done, I was given the 1.1% flouride paste to use. It has only been two evenings that I have used it and it has created so much pain in the tooth with the root canal that I can't eat or sleep. Why would this happen?
User Level:
Dentist
I had a root canal done 2 months ago with no further pain or problems. Because I have pain from other procedures yet to be done, I was given the 1.1% flouride paste to use. It has only been two evenings that I have used it and it has created so much pain in the tooth with the root canal that I can't eat or sleep. Why would this happen?

Sorry, but I have never heard of pain after using concentrated fluoride on the teeth. If the pain comes from your gums, maybe it is some sort of weird allergy to a carrier of the fluoride paste.
Posted 1 year ago
User Level:
Student
Posted by: JoeAllard  (1 year ago)
Sodium fluoride makes teeth more resistant to decay and bacteria that cause cavities. This medication is used to prevent cavities.

Apply a thin ribbon of medicine to a toothbrush and brush thoroughly for 2 minutes or as directed.Adults: after use, spit out the excess. Do not swallow the toothpaste. For best results, do not eat, drink or rinse for 30 minutes after using this fluoride treatment.Try to use this way may be it would help you to recover from pain.
User Level:
Patient
Posted by: jimhassel  (1 year ago)
There should not be any pain due to the reason you mentioned. The cause of the pain would be something else, it may be coinciding with your change of tooth paste. It is important that you figure out the right reason for your pain, because it should not be the paste ideally.
User Level:
Dentist
You should go in for a follow up- no reason that root canal tooth should be hurting after 2 months with or without fluoride. Was it already fully restored? Did the temporary dislodge? Possible reinfection or fracture or missed nerve? They should check all possibilities.
Posted 1 year ago
User Level:
Dentist
The reason is not the fluoride paste for sure. As jimhassel said it is coinciding with your change of tooth paste. This pain is coming due to any other reason. Just go to your dentist and tell him the problem.
the simpletooth
family dentistry with purpose
CA
Posted 1 year ago